Sunday, June 11, 2006

Reno

Today I rode 42 miles and spent 2 hours 46 minutes on the bike. I got up early, struck my tent and took a quick ride up to Frenchman Lake to check it out. After returning to camp, I helped reload the van, and we set out for Reno. (NOTE: I just published 4 days of back-log as seperate posts as we've been in the mountains and had inter-NOT access only, if you want to read them all, you'll have to dig down a few entries to where I left off)



Some spaced-out rock formations on the way up to Frenchman lake.



The lake is man made, looking down the spillway from on top of the dam.



The lake. Lots of folks out fishing this morning. No jet skis (thank you).



An informative placard.



More views of crazy rocks on the way back down.







Tearing down camp before hitting the road.



The last stretches of the 70 before dropping down a steep straightaway (I hit my max speed to date descending at 39.5 mph) to meet the 395.



We rode the last 20 miles or so into Reno on the 395, in this area a split highway with a nice wide shoulder. High speed traffic makes for noisy riding and crossing the off-ramps at exits can be stressful, but luckily the wind was cooperative, and it was a speedy run. What a relief to get off the freeway onto slower, less trafficked roads.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Ian. The scenery is breathtaking!

You have such a great way of capturing the flavor of the local towns when you write. I'm loving this opportunity to follow along. Thanks for all the work you are doing keeping us posted.

Stay healthy! (and keep away from those fast cars :-)

Larry

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home